Health ScienceMission Statement:To provide a comprehensive and fully integrated health-related curriculum with clinical application that will prepare students for highly-skilled jobs within the health care profession.
(Open to High School Seniors Only)
Health Science is a 1-year program offered to high school seniors who wish to investigate and observe a variety of healthcare occupations. This course will provide students with skills related to the healthcare industry such as taking vital signs, body mechanics, medical terminology, and other entry-level skills. Students will receive CPR & First Aid training. Qualifying students will also be given the opportunity to take the state Certified Nurse Assistant examination.
Students cover the following topics:
- Anatomy & Physiology of the body and related diseases
- Observation of health occupations
- Basic entry level skills for nursing and other allied healthcare fields
- Career planning
- Medical terminology
- Identify and demonstrate professional behavior with regard to roles and functions of healthcare professionals
- Explore the opportunities for careers in health occupations and demonstrate career management skills
- Demonstrate professional interpersonal and communication skills
- Identify and demonstrate safety/sanitation procedures; and apply principles of Microbiology
- Describe the importance of human anatomy and physiology to the career of a health professional
- Modify patient care based on an understanding of human life stages and basic human needs
- Perform procedures common to multiple healthcare disciplines
STUDENTS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING THE CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT PORTION OF THE HEALTH SCIENCE CURRICULUM CAN BECOME A CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT!
Students in Health Science become..
Licensed Practical Nurse
Med Lab Technician
Child Care Professional