• Junior year is filled with the excitement of knowing the high school journey is halfway done and graduation is fast approaching! From doing college research to taking the ACT, there are many activities that occur during junior year to help prepare for the future. The WHS Counseling staff is here to help. Please make an appointment with your counselor to review credits, discuss the college process and other tips to pave the way for a smooth senior year and make your plan for life after high school graduation! 

    Some information to be considering as you progress through junior year:

    1) Will I have the credits I need to graduate?

    WHS requires 25 credits to graduate in specified categories. Make sure you review your credits with your counselor during junior year. 

    2) Where will I apply to college? 

    You can do college research including cost of attendance and programs offered through Missouri Connections or College Navigator.  

    3) What is the difference between a loan and a grant?

    A loan is money a student borrows to attend a higher education institution after high school. Loans have to be paid back with interest once a student stops attending a college or university. A grant is money from the federal or state government awarded to a student based on financial need. The Federal Pell Grant and Access Missouri Grant are the two largest grants awarded through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA opens each year on October 1st and needs to be completed prior to attending college.

    4) How do scholarships work?

    Scholarships are monies awarded to students attending colleges and universities that meet certain eligibility requirements. This money does not have to be paid back as long as the student continues to meet the criteria established by the organization awarding the scholarship. There are local scholarships, national scholarships, university scholarships and athletic scholarships. All require an application and additional information such as test scores, transcripts, minimum Grade Point Averages (GPA), and personal essays.

    5) If I want to play sports in college, are there special requirements?

    Yes, the NAIA and NCAA have varying admissions requirements for GPA and courses taken based on athletic divisions. If you are interested in playing sports in college, please talk with your coach, a counselor or the athletic director before senior year.

    6) What is the A+ Scholarship and how do I apply?

    A+ Scholarship Program is a tuition reimbursement program that can be used to pay for two years of education at various community colleges and technical schools in the state of Missouri. Certain eligibility requirements must be met including a 2.5 GPA, 95% attendance rate, 50 hours of unpaid tutoring/mentoring, good citizenship, and a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra 1 End of Course Exam (EOC).

    7) Should I take the ACT? How do I sign up?

    If you are planning to attend college, you should take the ACT during your junior year of high school. WHS offers various testing dates throughout the year and registration is online at act.org.

    8) Can I take the ASVAB my junior year?

    Yes, we encourage all juniors to take the ASVAB to learn more about their skills, knowledge areas and related career occupations.

    9) How do I get my transcript sent to the college I want to attend? 

    Please complete the transcript request form with the mailing and/or email address of the college or university to which you are applying. Transcript Request

    10) What is a letter of recommendation and how do I get one?

    A letter of recommendation is often needed to apply for college, scholarship, and employment applications. Letters should come from someone who knows you well and can verify your achievements and personal qualities. You will need a resume so your recommender can write a good letter for you. Make sure to ask your recommender three weeks to a month ahead of your deadline and follow-up with them one week before your due date.

    11) What opportunities are available at WHS for seniors?

    Fort Leonard Wood Internships are available at various locations for students interested in job shadowing. Examples of locations are: Bruce Clarke Library, the museum, FLW airport, Network Enterprise Center, Davison Fitness Center and Garrison Command. The Career Embedded Promotions and Advertising Program gives students experience working with the Chamber of Commerce and area businesses to help create marketing campaigns and social media promotions. Way-Med is a medical exploration program for students interested in health careers. Job shadowing and internships may be offered to students in the program. Health Science is a certified nursing assistant program at Waynesville Career Center for students interested in the field of nursing. OTC College Now is a district funded program for juniors and seniors that plan to pursue a career in education or criminal justice. Well qualified students attend free college classes at OTC during the school day. Please talk with your counselor for more information about all of these amazing opportunities.

    12) Can I leave school to work during my senior year?

    Qualified students may be approved for one hour of Flex time. Flex is an early work release program that allows students to leave school after 6th hour. Students must have employment verification and meet GPA, attendance and discipline requirements to qualify for Flex. 



Junior Meeting